What better way to learn than to be submerged, literally, in the subject! We have just that opportunity for our school groups! Our Underground Classroom includes a special extended tour including a unique underground classroom experience, led by our trained guides.
During the extended Underground Classroom, students will learn about stalactites, stalagmites, and more geographical information.
Our caverns is blessed with a rich history extending back over 2,000 years ago, some of the historical points your class would learn about are:
- 2,000 years ago the Woodland Indians
- Age of Exploration including Hernando DeSoto's trail past DeSoto Caverns
- Early American History : DeSoto Caverns is the first cave on record in America
- George Washington's Scout found the cave and reported it to him.
- I.W. Wright is our earliest graffiti in DeSoto Caverns and was killed within the cave by Native Americans.
- Civil War
Artifacts & Fossils
We also discuss the sedimentary layers and how fossils are formed. We also have a time where students get to see and touch a Mastadon bone found in our cave!