- A backpack or duffel bag packed with all of your gear.
Helpful Hint: You will carry your gear .2 miles from the parking area to the cave, so pack what you can carry that distance.
- A sturdy flashlight with extra batteries
- A small pack to carry a water bottle and extra batteries
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Change of clothes, socks and a jacket
Helpful Hint: If you are staying overnight, remember our Caverns is 60 degrees year round, so bring pajamas that would be most comfortable for you in that temperature
- Towel (we have a few indoor showers located at our Coosa Pavilion)
- Plastic bag for dirty clothes. If you are planning on doing attractions, plan for having fun and possibly sweating a little, so bring a bag for those dirty clothes!
- Sleeping bag, ground cloth (tarp, plastic) if spending the night
Helpful Hint: We do have electricity in the cave, so if you want to bring an air mattress & pump for “roughing-it” that will work just fine.
Yes, to protect the cave and abide by the laws of the state of Alabama, a few items are not allowed in the cave. The following is a list of items that are not allowed during DeSoto Caverns Adventure Trips.
- Chewing gum
- Alcohol or drugs
- Food or drinks (water is allowed, but carbonated drinks and other pollutants if spilled damage the formations of the natural Caverns)
Helpful Hint: If you medically must have certain foods, please call our office for details.
- Pets, radios, video games, laser pointers
- Weapons or fireworks
- Cigarettes, cigars or chewing tobacco. DeSoto Caverns is a tobacco free environment
If you need to charge your phone or plug in an air mattress, we do have an extension cord available with a three-prong plug.